Pilates Reformer Instructor
Company: YMCA of Greater San Antonio
Location: New Braunfels
Posted on: June 7, 2021
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit
committed to strengthening community through youth development,
healthy living and social responsibility. Instructs group classes
in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that welcomes people
of all skill and fitness levels. Effectively builds community
within the class. Modifies class as needed to meet varied health,
ability and cultural needs.
Instructs group classes in a safe, supportive and welcoming
environment that promotes member wellness and engagement by
following YMCA policies and procedures.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture.
In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities
with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are
open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are
genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are
hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst
in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to
develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we
are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning
- Enthusiastically lead an energizing, fun, safe, and educational
group fitness class, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish
the YMCA mission and goals.
- Answer questions from members to nurture goal achievement
related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of current
wellness trends from respected industry leaders to inform and
- Build effective, genuine, and professional relationships with
members; encourage building a community by fostering connections
with other members and YMCA staff.
- Observes and adjusts approach to support all participants'
capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
- Celebrates achievement of program participants related to
program or personal goals, mastering of specific skills or overall
health and well-being.
- Document accurate class attendance records on a timely
- Begin each class with a Higher Thought, story or inspirational
- Attend all required staff meetings; departmental, branch and,
- Follow YMCA policies and procedures; respond appropriately to
- Maintain required certification(s) by meeting/exceeding
continuing education requirements and keep current with legitimate
trends in individual proficiency and the industry.
- Refrain from diagnosing injuries, offering medical advice and
dispensing or endorsing any commercial health products especially
nutritional supplements, vitamins, performance-enhancing substances
and pain relievers/treatments/therapies.
- Refrain from the promotion of any merchandise or services from
outside the YMCA.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Communication & Influence
- Engaging Community
- At least one year of experience instructing group wellness
classes is preferred.
- Have a general knowledge of group exercise equipment, sound
systems, cardiovascular and strength training, and health and
- Must have effective interpersonal skills and be able to
facilitate group interaction/socialization and exhibit teamwork
with members, co-workers, and management staff.
- National certification (ACE, ACSM, AFAA, FitTour, ISSA, NETA,
and some others) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations
of Group Exercise certification required*, or may be obtained
within six months of employment.
- Additional certification(s) in other proficiencies/areas of
expertise (i.e., Group Cycling, Les Mills Programming, Pilates,
Yoga, ZUMBA, etc.) are required.
- Certifications required within the first week of hire: Redwoods
Bloodborne Pathogens and Hazardous Communications.
- Certifications required within the first 60 days of hire: YMCA
Healthy Lifestyles, YMCA approved basic life saving skills such as
CPR, First Aid, AED, and Emergency Oxygen.
- The following instructor certifications are exempted from the
National Group Exercise requirement. However, you are strongly
encouraged to obtain this type of certification as it serves as a
foundation for movement and provides other basic education
information needed for leading any group exercise class:
- Les Mills proficiency certification
- Yoga - Registered Yoga School RYS instructor certification
- Pilates - National Commission for Certifying Agencies NCCA
accredited Pilates school certification
- Work is generally performed indoors in a health & wellness
facility with the use of fitness equipment or, on occasion,
outdoors with supervisor approval.
- Physical ability to conduct classes and activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position;
including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and
- Visual acuity required for reading computer screens and other
documents as well as teaching a safe group exercise class.
- The instructor must be able to correct unsafe movement in a
nurturing, encouraging manner, and consistently deliver
professional instruction to a wide variety of learning styles and
Keywords: YMCA of Greater San Antonio, New Braunfels , Pilates Reformer Instructor, Other , New Braunfels, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!