Company: YMCA of Greater San Antonio
Location: New Braunfels
Posted on: June 6, 2021
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit,
charitable organization committed to strengthening community
through youth development, healthy living, and social
responsibility. The Lifeguard creates a safe and positive
atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while
promoting and maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, one
the deck and surrounding areas in accordance with YMCA policies and
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture.
In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities
with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are
open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are
genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are
hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst
in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to
develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we
are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to
emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies,
procedures, and the "safe-in-six" model; completes related reports
- Maintains effective and positive relationships with the
members, participants, and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules,
policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when
challenged by others.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the
state health department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is
available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and
takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service training.
- Responsible for appropriate child-adult ratios and group
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness of deck and locker
- Responsible for opening and closing procedures and securing
- Report to duty 10 minutes before shift and secure a substitute
if necessary and with proper notification.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making
- Emotional Maturity
- Minimum age of 16
- Required Certifications: YMCA approved basic life saving to
include CPR, AED, First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen
- Current YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent
- Child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Work is performed in an indoor or outdoor aquatic
- Have the ability to physically perform all skills required of a
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment,
including in the water and anywhere around the zone of
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- Visual acuity is required to see and observe all sections of an
assigned zone or area of responsibility. Must be able to see and
recognize aquatic distress above and below the water surface.
- Ability to respond properly to a medical emergency is
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time is required,
as well as the ability to hold breath under water when
- Job requires high levels of alertness and concentration.
Keywords: YMCA of Greater San Antonio, New Braunfels , Lifeguard, Other , New Braunfels, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!